Deputy’s heroic effort leads to arrest of car thief after two weeks of investigation

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Grey Summit, Mo. - Franklin County Deputies and Pacific Police have been working together over the past two weeks investigating the numerous auto thefts that have taken place within the area.  Through a collective effort by both departments they were able tie all robberies to one suspect.

Several attempts had been made to stop and arrest the subject and each time led to a pursuit, at times exceeding 100 MPH.  These pursuits were discontinued due to safety concerns.  There was currently a warrant for the subject’s arrest for felony probation violation, $75,000.00 bond.

On Thursday detectives began surveying the Gray Summit area where it was believed that the suspect might have been visiting.  It was also reported by law enforcement that a vehicle had been stolen from Eureka area on Wednesday night.

Thursday afternoon, a car dealer from St. Louis County area reported that the vehicle possibly stolen from Eureka was at their dealership.  They advised that a subject fitting the description of the suspect had dropped it off and taken a blue 2002 Mustang with Texas license.

Thursday around 3 p.m. Detectives noticed a Mustang with Texas license pull in to the Garden Way Motel driven by the suspect.  Additional deputies responded to the area hoping to make the arrest at the motel.

However the suspect left from the motel before deputies had arrived.  Several minutes later, a Franklin County Deputy observed the subject pumping gas at the gas station next to Berger King. 

The deputy immediately ordered the subject to the ground however the suspect hopped into the vehicle.   Determined to apprehend the suspect the Deputy reached through the window of the car attempting to grab the keys and turn the car off.

The subject was able to start the vehicle and leave with the deputy’s arm caught in the steering wheel.  The deputy fired two rounds at the suspect striking him in the arm and torso, however he still continued to flee.  The suspect was able to escape from the area.

Minutes later investigators received information of a possible sighting in Eureka near the Penitentiary.  Bloody clothing was also located along Old Hwy 66 in the same area.  This sighting was followed by a report from Pacific Firefighters who observed the vehicle pass their station on Osage Street in Pacific with a female driving the vehicle

A St. Louis County Police Officer was in the area and observed the vehicle and was able to stop the vehicle on westbound I-44 near the westbound entrance ramp.

It is believed that the suspect picked the female up at a residence in St. Louis County after being shot twice. The female was transporting the subject to the Hospital and surrendered without incident.

The deputy was taken to Mercy Hospital in Washington where he was treated and released with minor injuries.

The suspect was also transported to Mercy Hospital in Washington and later taken to Mercy Hospital in Creve Coeur.  His condition is unknown at this time.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol has been requested to assist in the investigation in relation to the shooting incident, which is a common procedure anytime there is a shooting.

The suspect is identified as Timothy J. Kalter, a white male, age 31from the Pacific and St. Louis area.