UPDATE 7: Breaking News Update

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Photo by Kyle Quck

Pictured above: Minutes after we arrived on scene, the residence was fully engulfed in flames.

Sept., 15. 2:44 p.m. -- We have just found out moments ago, there will be an investigation on yesterday's house fire.  New Haven Police Department told us moments ago, Jim Schuhmacher, Franklin County’s fire investigator, will be investigating to try and find the ignition source of what may have caused the fire.

8:38 p.m. -- We spoke with Fire Chief Wayne Carl afterwards about a known cause and if the fire would be an investigation or not.  Carl said, "First our guys did a great job.  Our guys responded quickly and we had an overall good response.”

Carl said, “It is not known what the cause of the fire was and at this time there are no plans for an investigation regarding whether or not the fire was accidental.  All that we do know is the house has been vacant, however there was an electricity line connected to the house."

3:54 p.m. -- At approximately 2:30 p.m. New Haven/Berger Fire Department, EMS, and Police were dispatched to the 700 block of Mcnair Street for a first alarm structure fire.

Franklin County 911 Dispatch advised responding units as it was reported that flames could be seen shooting through the roof.

Before we arrived on the scene, we observed heavy black smoke at the intersection of Park Drive and Highway 100.

Upon our arrival, New Haven EMS and Police were on the scene.  The structure was fully engulfed in flames.  We also heard a loud explosion that seemed to come from inside the structure.

At 2:39 p.m. the front part (Pictured Left) of the structure’s frame collapsed and minutes later the remaining structure’s frame fell to the ground.

The first pumper arrived on the scene at approximately at 2:40 p.m. and by 2:54 p.m. Firefighters had the majority of the fire knocked down.

At 3:15 p.m. Chief Wayne Carl placed the alarm under control and would be remaining out for extensive mop up.

Last night at the Board of Alderman meeting, this specific residence was discussed because it has been vacant for an extended period of time.  It is unknown who the owner of the residence is or if there is any relation to the fire today and it being discussed at last night’s meeting.

Mayor George Panhorst was at the scene today.  Panhorst said, “We had discussed this specific property at last night’s meeting.

3:14 p.m. -- Fire crews responded to a report of a first alarm structure fire in the 700 block of McNair Street with flames showing through the roof.  Crews are currently on the scene battling the blaze.

We will continue to provide updates as more information comes in.

Two pictures below: The remains after firefighters fully extinguished the fire.