Olive street bridge replacement will include pedestrian walkway - 80% funded through federal grant

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

The City of New Haven anticipates that work on the Olive Street bridge replacement project will begin later this month. Citizens should be prepared for a road closure of up to 30 days once the project begins.

KJ Unnerstall Construction, Washington, has been awarded the contract for the project. City officials met with KJU officials June 30 to discuss the project details. Missouri Department of Transportation officials were also present.

The project includes replacement of the Olive Street Bridge and realignment of the roadway southwest of the bridge. Sidewalk and a pedestrian walkway on the bridge are included. The total contract amount is $215,991.70.

Olive Street will be closed at the bridge site once demolition of the existing structure begins. The contract requires that the closure be limited to no longer than 30 days, although the contractor hopes to be able to open the bridge to traffic sooner than that. Periodic closures can be expected once work on the road approaches and roadway re-alignment begins. Kurt Unnerstall of KJU Construction told the City and MoDOT officials that he felt the project could be completed by Labor Day, if all goes well.

The project is being paid by a federal grant that covers 80 percent of the project cost. City funds will pay for the remaining 20 percent.

QNHN will keep you up-to-date on road closure.